New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heidegger and Tolkein
 Login/Join

Mitgliedchen
posted
My exposure to Heidegger is limited to a couple courses in college, neither of which I did very well in. I know that both Heidegger and Tolkein were often critical of how technology was percieved and used in their era, and that they were both writing at about the same time. I was wonderng if anybody has done any scholarship on the connection, mabey placing them both within a larger anti-technology movement.

Just idle curiosity.

Thanks Smile

Posts: 1 | Location: Athens, GA, USA | Registered: February 02, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
First of all I recommend further reading on Heidegger 's philosophy not only for its correspondense with other opinions and authors but for its own value which I 'm sure you will eventually find out. I have one more question: What kind of address is this? Athens in USA?

Posts: 3 | Location: Athens Greece | Registered: April 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
Athens:
Also, one in Michigan, U.S.A.
http://www.multimag.com/city/mi/athens/

You can also visit Hell, Nirvana, Holland,
and Paradise - Michigan.
Or Love Farms in Climax,
Michigan.

King Arthur's Court, Michigan.
Bad Axe, Michigan.
I grew up in Kalamazoo, Michigan.

You can also visit Moscow, Iowa
http://www.worldrover.com/lodging/iowa/Moscow.html

All in the United States of America.

Yours --- Daniel Ferrer.

Posts: 11 | Registered: December 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
Mitgliedchen
Picture of Peter Danenberg
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by caleb:
I was [wondering] if anybody has done any scholarship on the connection, [maybe] placing them both within a larger anti-technology movement.
Not that I've yet seen in particular; though it might be useful to point out that Heidegger's relationship to technology is a bit stickier than anti-technologism as such, or so he would have us understand:
Also: vor allem das Mißverständnis ist abzulehnen, als ob ich gegen die Technik sei. (Heidegger: 2000, S. 706)
What Heidegger would seem to propose instead were an ab-stract trafficking with technology, such that our capacity as ζῷον ἔχον λόγον isn't hijacked by fruit whose usage entails yet uncomprehended mutations in our world-orientation.  In Gelassenheit, he more nearly characterizes the posture of withdrawn engagement by which we'd seek to maintain our sovereignty over the technical, which is lastly the sovereignty over our world; even while benefitting from her engagement:
Wir lassen die technischen Gegenstände in unsere tägliche Welt herein und lassen sie zugleich draußen, d.h. auf sich beruhen als Dinge, die nichts Absolutes sind, sondern selbst auf Höheres angewiesen bleiben.  Ich möchte diese Haltung des gleichzeitigen Ja und Nein zur technischen Welt mit einem alten Wort nennen: die Gelassenheit zu den Dingen (Heidegger: 1999, S. 23)

Heidegger, Martin: Gelassenheit.  Stuttgart, 1999.

Heidegger, Martin: Reden und andere Zeugnisse eines Lebenweges.  Frankfurt am Main, 2000.

Posts: 63 | Location: Baden-Württemberg | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post