New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about 1920s spiritual context
 Login/Join

Mitgliedchen
posted
In Der Begriff der Zeit (1924), Heidegger wrote, "The present generation thinks it has found history, it thinks it is even overburdened with history. It moans about historicism - lucus a non lucendo." (The Concept of Time, tr. W. McNeill, Blackwell, Oxford, 1992, 20E). What did he mean by that remark? To which spiritual movements did he refer? What was that "historicism" and who were those that "moaned about" it, for what?

Would anybody here give some information about the spiritual context of that time? Thanx!

btw. what does the latin lucus a non lucendo mean?

Posts: 1 | Location: Shanghai | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
Dear B:

Great inquiry and question. Here is my thought on the matter of your i and q. I profess no infinite wisdom on all your questions, and this is some of my thoughts after a number of years attempting to penetrate H's thinking.

What did he mean by that remark?

I think the key to what Heidegger means is in the Latin phrase: lucus a non lucendo or the thicket as a result of no clearing ..... can be interpreted as unconscious/opaque as a result of no awareness (no looking -- no pondering).

The thicket may also suggest the German philosophical term Holzwege, which refers to being on a wood-path, where there is no exit, and the "no exit" is the place in time where looking/pondering come into play to unfold the "exit" -- to find the "exit", if you will.

Or simply ........ what Heidegger suggests in his Letter on Humanism that:

"Therefore only what already is can really
be accomplished. But what ˜is˜ above all
is Being."

From this, it might be suggested that looking for causal forces, formal structures, and the like, are not worth the term or amount of time for a search. Since what already is can be accomplished (unfolded or rolled out or presence), and "Being" is what "is" above all, then it may be worth our time to ponder the exit from our "wood-path"... not by finding what caused the "wood-path", but more from pondering the unfolding of thinking and being to open an exit where no exit seems possible in the "wood-path". Ponder in the darkness, with the intent of unfolding or rolling out "Being" into such darkness.

And there seems to be no formal method for that. It may be any method will do, or just begin attempting any method, which may lead to another method, and to another. In other words, it may be the end of Freud and all the answers and formulas and structured-fixed perspectives, and the beginning of "rolling out" or "unfolding" 'Being' into the circumstance/ happen-stance of life, itself.

Posts: 2 | Registered: October 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitgliedchen
Online Status For dfds
posted Hide Post
ura bunch of cum sucking ass ramers who have nuthing better to do fuck u all

cummutha

Posts: 1 | Location: gsfdsgfdg | Registered: December 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post