Find
Notify
Tools

Heidegger on Medieval Philosophy
 Login/Join

Mitglied
posted
Hello!
I'm new in this forum. I'm really surprised about how much material on Heidegger is available on the web.
From a long time I've been a reader on Heidegger' works, but my investigation is devoted to Middle Age Philosophy (12th Century).
Could any of you, please, point to an article where Middle Age Philosophy is quote in relation with Heidegger's philosophy?
Thanks a lot and congratulations about this forum!

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
Picture of ottomanic-dasein
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
Ontology as modern sense in west philosohy was established by Cristian Wolff (1679-1754).M.Heidegger is basic ontologist so the roots of his ontology is connect with Wolff's ontology ...
So y should re-read his all comments on the history of western philosohy in meaning of his ontology...To sum up: Your quest is on history of philosoph for Heidegger's Ontolgy...that is the on the Pre-Socratic philosohy's wise men

Posts: 7 | Location: Turkey izmir | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
Hello ottomanic-dasein!
Thank you for your reply.
But I think I don't quite understand your reply.
To be more explicit:
On reading Heidegger's works, it seems clear to me he's not much interested in the this period of the History of Philosophy we use to call "Middle Ages". In a sense (the meaning which takes Philosophy in its original sense), this long period of the Western thought doesn't concern Philosophy at all. All right.
But it is clear that Renaissance and Modern Europe entered Philosophy with a lot of debts to Midde Ages philosophy. Most of their metaphisics are quite dependant on medival conceptions.
In a way, I was asking myself why Heidegger didn't properly enter in an analysis on that subject matter.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitgliedchen
posted Hide Post
Pedro,

I believe you are quite correct that Heidegger was not interested in Middle Age ontology. The two worlds of Descartes, body/soul, was a perspective he did not value highly. Ultimately, the two worlds perspective is incoherent, and therefore unsatisfying. Heidegger looked to ancient philosophers to see how they might contribute to understanding the world in a coherent way. He didn't want to be dependant on medieval thinking, so in lieu of writing a detailed analysis of that subject matter, he circumvented it. (One of his methods for dissassociating himself from it was to decline to use its terminology. And to associate himself with the ancients, was to use their terms.)

Paranthetically, Merleau-Ponty, too wished to positivly address the "two worlds" of Descartes problem from a phenomenological perspective. "I am my body" he wrote. So if "I" (soul) am my body, there is no common ground with Middle Ages Philosophy.

In order to abandon a way of thinking, in this case, two realm thinking, one must have a new way of thinkig as a substitute. Heidegger provided a rival ontology, instead of dwelling on a detailed analysis of what he wished to abandon.

Posts: 1 | Registered: July 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
Pedro,
I must respectfully disagree with ottomanic-dasein. See 'Basic Problems of Phenomenology', Chapter 2. I have also heard tell that Heidegger was deeply influenced by a number of Medieval philosophers, particularly Duns Scotus. Indeed, I had a professor who went so far as to suggest that there are passages in Heidegger's works that are directly ripped off from scholastic sources, although I cannot confirm as I have not investigated this myself.

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
Pedro,
I forgot to mention, Heidegger did his Doctorate on Duns Scotus. Heres an article I found:The Review of Metaphysics; 12/1/2003; McGrath, Sean J. "Heidegger and Duns Scotus on Truth and Language."

Posts: 2 | Registered: December 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post