Find
Notify
Tools

Last God
 Login/Join

Mitglied
Picture of mcausey
posted
Why does Heidegger speak of the "last" god (der letzte Gott) in the Contributions (Beiträge zur Philosophie)? Why "last"? Why not "another" or a "new" or "the next" god? How is the way prepared for this god to show? Are we given any formal conditions for this in the Contibutions or elsewhere?

Posts: 2 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcausey:
Why does Heidegger speak of the "last" god (der letzte Gott) in the Contributions (Beiträge zur Philosophie)? Why "last"? Why not "another" or a "new" or "the next" god? How is the way prepared for this god to show? Are we given any formal conditions for this in the Contibutions or elsewhere?

I have some clues but no answers.

F.W.J. Schelling
speaks of the last God in "Philosophie der Kunst" ( edition 1966) by Schelling,
p. 76 he uses the expression. "Der letzte Gott".
I think there maybe another place in Schelling.
Also, people make references to Exodus 33.
You can have a look at:
TI: Heidegger's Last God and the Schelling Connection
AU: Seidel,-George-J
SO: Laval-Theologique-et-Philosophique. F 99; 55(1): 85-98

Some books about GA65 in general are listed here:
http://www.lib.cmich.edu/bibliographers/danielferrer/GA65bib.htm

One in German is closer to your topic is here:
Coriando, P.-L. (1998). Der letzte Gott als Anfang : zur ab-gründigen Zeit-Räumlichkeit des übergangs in Heideggers "Beiträgen zur Philosophie (Vom Ereignis)". München, W. Fink Verlag.

I am not sure how much this helps.

Thanks, Daniel Fidel Ferrer.

Posts: 11 | Registered: December 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
Picture of mcausey
posted Hide Post
Actually this does help. I had not come across Coriando's work. It should be very relevant to my interest.

I am wondering if the translation for "letzte" as "last" is somewhat problematic. I believe the German would also allow "ultimate" as a translation. In this case we would be closer to the Tillichean et. al notion of the God beyond God. Tillich was of course a colleague of Heidegger's at Marburg.

Thanks for the bibliographical help!

Posts: 2 | Location: Louisville, Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mitglied
Picture of ottomanic-dasein
Yahoo IM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcausey:

Is Heideggerian notion as der letze Gott deep related to islam in the ontolojical sense( especially,İbn- Arabi's content)? because islam's holy book Quaran is the last book...intuitionally, 'the last' might be symbolized to Allah !!! Again this is(may be) ontological argumant...not,nowadays, a image of islam in the globe after 11 september...
best wishes from Turkey

Posts: 7 | Location: Turkey izmir | Registered: April 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post